Hurt in a Car Accident – What you should do

If you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident you may be entitled to the following types of compensation:

No-Fault Accident Benefits: Everyone in BC who owns a vehicle is required to purchase basic third party liability insurance from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. This insurance includes “No-Fault Accident Benefits,” which include temporary total disability benefits and medical and rehabilitation benefits.

Damages: If you are not at fault (in whole or part) for the accident, you also have the right to damages for your pain and suffering, lost past and future wages, future care, out-of-pocket expenses and other losses.

Here are some simple but important steps you should take:

1. Make sure you get the name, address, driver’s license number and plate number from the other driver.

2. Contact the police and report the accident (NOTE: the police will only attend the scene of an accident if the accident is of a serious nature).

3. Obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses.

4. Report your claim by telephone to ICBC dial-a-claim (604-520-8222 for Lower Mainland residents or 1.800.910.4222 elsewhere in BC) – or report the claim online by going to

5. Complete all necessary applications for benefits (eg: Employment Insurance, No Fault Benefits through ICBC, Disability Benefits) that you may be entitled to.

6. If you are involved in a hit and run accident you must make all reasonable efforts to locate the hit and run driver immediately or you may become statue barred in recovering anything. Advising ICBC or the police about the accident is not enough – you should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible if you are involved in a hit and run to ensure you meet your obligations.

AT YOUR EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY contact a qualified lawyer at DuMoulin Boskovich LLP (toll free at 1-800-288-9893) to help you with the process of instituting a claim.

Contact Jon Walsh or Sacha Fedora at DuMoulin Boskovich LLP for your legal needs. or